It has been serving as a museum since 1968 but its capacity is not enough any more because of the fact that many excavations have been made during the recent years and the numbers of findings made it impossible to keep in the museum. For this reason, the building next to the Çorum Industrial Vacational High School which was once used as hospital, Agricultural School, Machine Vacational Academy was taken over from the Ministry of Education in order to be used as New Çorum Museum building. The building which was damaged in 1988 was restored in 1989 to be used as museum. After the restoration, it was started to be used as a museum on 11.03.2003.
The building was announced as the “ Protected Piece” by Council of Monument. There are independentently organized Archaeological and Ethnographic exhibition centers in the building.
In the Archaeological part has 4 floors.In the first floor, Chalcolithic Age pieces which were excavated in Alacahöyük, Kuşsaray and Büyük Güllücek are exhibited chronologically. In this part, there are also bronz age pieces excavated in Alacahöyük. L Grave , one of the graves of prince and princess from bronz age, is exhibited. There are also pieces from excavations of Boğazköy-Hattis, Alacahöyük, Yörüklü Hüseyindede. These pieces belong to Hittites. Some photos, magazines and introduction plates
of the excavations in Boğazköy-Hattis are also exhibited here.Two anaglyph vases found in Yörüklü excavations and dating Ancient Hittites Age are also exhibited in this floor.One has four arches and the other has one anaglyph arch. One of the most valuable pieces exhibited in the museum belongs to Hittites King Tuthaliya II. It is a sword with a cuneiform writing.
Clay Seals found in Boğazköy-Hattis excavations are exhibited in the second floor which begins with the Hittites written documents (Cuneiform Plates). There are also Cuneiform Plates in Ortaköy-Şapinuva. There are also seals from other ages exhibited in this floor.
The third floor begins with the ceramics from Ortaköy-Şapinuva and there are pieces from Pazarlı excavations from Phrygian Era. Following them, there are pieces from Boğazköy-Hattuşa and Alacahöyük findings. This floor ends with the Hellenistic and Roman Galata ceramics. The coin which belongs to Byzantine , Islam, Hellenistic and Roman period are also exhibited here.
Roman period glass pieces, gold and silver ornaments, sculptures, lamp (Oil lamp shaped like a small glass bowl) are exhibited in the fourth floor.
The gardens and lounges of Çorum Museum whose archeological department have been opened are still under construction.
Hattis has been in the list of Unesco’s “ World Heritage List” since 1986. The cuneiform tablets found here have also been in Unesco’s Memory of the World Register since 2001. 31.519 tablets found are still protected in İstanbul museums ( Old Eastern Pieces Museum, Archeology Museum) , Ankara Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, Çorum and Boğazkale Museums. Boğazkale tablets which are Akkadian and Hittite consist not only laws, treaties and correspondances but also religious and literary documents.
Boğazköy – Hattis historical sites administered by Çorum Museum Directorate is also a National Historical Park. Boğazköy-Hattis historical site is open every day between 08.00-17.00. These hours are between 08.00-19.00 in summer.
Hittites who were one of the most powerful civilization of the east like Egypt, Babylon and Mitanni ,
ruled most of Anatolia and North Syria until about B.C 1200. The capital was Hattis which is 80 km from Çorum. It is in Boğazkale town. The region was registered with National Historical Park status in 1988.
Hattis was discovered by Charles Texier in 1834. This is not only discovery of Hattis but also it is the discovery of the forgotten Hittites. Hattis was visited by many scientists and travelers until Ernest Chantre made several drilling between 1893-1894 and found some cuneiform writing . With the support of the manager of Müze-i Hümayun Osman Hamdi Bey , Theodor Makridi Bey started a large scale excavation in 1906. They understood that this place is the capital of Hittites with the support of cuneiform writing specialist Hugo Winckler. They paused the excavation due to the Second World War. It is started in 1952 again. It is still held by German Archeological Institute.
The first traces of settlement go back to Chalcolithic (Stone) Ages (BC 5000) . The permanent settlement starts at the end of Old Bronze Age (BC 3000) . The Hattis who are the natives of the region founded a city and called it as Hattis.
In the BC 20th Century, Assyrian tradesmen coming from the middle Dicle Region founded a Karum (a trade colony) outside Hattis. In these years, they expanded Southeast and Middle Anatolia which were under control of Kaniş / Neşa ( Kültepe near Kayseri) This settlement known as Hattis was demolished by Hittites King Anitta from Kuşşara in BC 1700s.
As understood from the Hittites written documents, with the Hattuşili’s coming on power (BC 1665-1640) Hattis became the capital. During Hittites Empire period, BC 14-13th centuries, the city was surrounded by a 6 km wall. In the later times, this wall was surrounded by the second wall and the city was protected more powerfully. The doors on this newly built wall are still available today. Aslanlı Kapı which has lion statues on it and Kral Kapı which has an armed king on it are the most famous ones. Yer Kapı which is in the South part of the city must have had a special role. A soil block which is 30 m. high, 250 m. tall and 80 m wide was built here. Sfenksli Kapı is also on the walls here. Under this door, there is the only one tunnel which goes under the Hattis. It is 71 meter tall and 3 meter high.The walls are still strong and they are from the BC 13th century. There are yards, houses, storehouses , a big reception room and ruins of a big palace were excavated in Büyükkale where there are crown buildings.
In Hittites documents , The One Thousand Gods of Hattis is often seen. These gods have definitely a place in the city. In the capital Hattis, 31 buildings have been identified as temples so far. The Great Temples which is the largest building in Hattusa is the only one among the houses in the downtown. Due to the fact that it has two cult rooms, this temple must have been dedicated to god of thunder and Arinna’s goddess of sun.
In the uptown near the temples, some monuments which were used for official business have been excavated in front of Büyükkale where there are crown places. The latest Hittite King Şuppiluliuma II ‘s Luvi hieroglyph and two inscriptions which are about his and Tuthaliya’s father performances are in this part of the city.
The latest excavations performed in Hattis mainly focus on the economy of Hittites Government. 11
underground stores of the city which date back to BC 13th century were found in Büyükkaya.
With the collapse of Hittites Empire in BC 1200 , the Anatolian Bronz Age ends. However, the settlement continues in the city. The new settlement beginning dates back to Early Iron Age and the Frigian influence started to be seen in BC 8th century. Settlement continued during Persian period. The traces of Hellenistic, Galata, Roman and Byzantine are also seen.
It is 45 km in the southeast of Çorum and 160km far in the east of Ankara.
Four civilizations were brought to light in Alacahöyük which is the centrum of art and a religious place in Old Bronz and Hittites Age..
The first modern age in Alacahöyük is represented with Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk-Ottoman age. In the first floor, all parts of the tumulus were settled in Late Frigian Age. This floor consists of small houses and it is not older than BC 650.
With its temples, large buildings, private-block houses, streets, large and small water channels, the city walls, one embossed with ortostats ornate sphinxes, with the other monumental Gates, it forms the second layer of Hittite Empire Age.
Syphinx door which was built with andesite blocks of limestone is 10 meter wide. It is a gate which links to the great temple.
Old Bronz Age BC 2500-2000) forms the third civilization floor in Alacahöyük. Old Bronz Age dynasty graves which have the most important role to find out Hatti civilization are the most important findings of this period. Intramural graves have been collected in a private place. The four sides of these graves are bricklayed and closed with a piece of wood. On this wood, skulls and legs of sacrificied animals were put. Gold, Silver, Electrum, copper, bronze, iron and precious stones show that the grave belongs to dynasty. Many gold and silver vessels forging, casting, inlay techniques, gold jewelry and fine jewelry are all pieces of a long process of development. Late Chalcolithic period which forms the fourth floor is the first built civilization.
One of the most important cities of Hittite Government , Şapinuva, is in the southeast of Çorum.It is on the passage of Göynücek Plain and Alaca Plain.
In the Hittites Period, it was a a military and religious center due to its strategical position. In the archives consisting of 4000 cuneiform writing fragments , there are Hattice, Hurrice and Akkadian written administrative, military, religious texts and horoscopes most of which belong to Middle Hittite period.(BC 14th century) It is understood that Taşmişarri (Tuthaliya III) – Taduhepa Crown family lived in this city. The excavations going on today brought the Building A called monumental building and Building B called the trade center building to light.
The construction date of the castle which was built in the South part of the city on a hill is not known.
Evliya Çelebi who came to Çorum in 17th century describes that the castle was built by Sultan Kılıç and it is a Seljuk building.
It has a square plan. The construction materials are dressed stone and rubble stones and the stones belonging to Roman-Byzantine period. There are a small mosque and houses inside.
CORUM CLOCK TOWER
It was built in the city center like a minaret by Beşiktaş Guard Çorumlu Yedi-Sekiz Hasan Paşa in 1894. On the incription which has 8 rows and dating back to 1312 on the arched door opening to the South :
Shortly on the incription:
“Şehinşah-ı zaman Abdülhamid Han-ı keremkarın
Ferman-ı kiramından Hasan Paşa-yı bihemta
Bütün evkatını vakf eyledi ihya-i hayrata
Muvvaffak eylesun her dem anı amaline Mevla
Bu saat kulesi ez cümle hayrat-ı güzininden
Yapıldı yümn-ü evferle bu şehri eyledi ihya
Çıkup bir vakt-i eşrefde yazıldı babına tarih
Bu mikat-i celili yapdı bak Lütfi Hasan Paşa, 1312” yazılıdır.
“This clock tower was built for everyone to know the time.”
It was made by sandstone. From an octagonal part, you can pass to the body. The top is covered by lead dome and it has clock-face in each four side. Balcony is climbed with 81 steps.
It is estimated that this mosque was built by Hayrettin who was the freedman of Seljuklu Sultan Alaattin Keykubat III. The mosque had its present shape after several restorations and repairs. It was destroyed in the earthquake in 1446 during the period of Beyazıt II. It was restored by Mimar Sinan. This restoration can also be seen in the book of Mimar Sinan called Teskiret-i Enbiye. During Murat III the mosques started to be named as Sultan Muradi Salis Mosque. Murat IV stopped over in Çorum – Boğacık village while going to Erivan war and the mosque was repaired and some madrasahs and akarat (pieces of landed property) were built around it. The mosque was registered with the name of Sultan Muradi Rabi Mosque to the Evkaf Dairesi (Registry Office). The mosque is destroyed in 1790 earthquake again and ıt was repaired by Çapanoğlu oğlu Abdülfettah Bey as a one domed mosque. The last community place, the top floor and a minaret to the eastern part were built during the II constitutional monarchy.
The minbar which is made of ebony tree was built by Abdullah oğlu Davut and Ebubekir oğlu Muhammed in 1306 with the order of Davutoğlu Ahmet. The minbar still has its original shape.
Han Mosque ( Gülabibey Mosque, Ömer Neftçi Mosque)
The mosque in Çorum Gülabibey Quarter is named with three different names Han Mosque , Gülabibey Mosque, Ömer Neftçi Mosque. The mosque dates back to early Ottoman period and it was built my Gülabibey and restored in 1579.
VELI PASHA MANSION
Veli Paşa Mansion is in Tepecik Quarter Şeyh Eyüp Street No: 13. It was built by Veli Paşa’s son Şevket Bey (Eren 1875-02 June 1940) in 1923-1924.
It has two floors and a basement. It has an interior garden. There are two entrances to the garden and these doors open to the street. There is a two wing door in the north side and there are two other doors which are haremlik (room for women) and selamlık (room for men) .
It is a good example for the Turkish house architecture. It is a part of the historical environment . Veli Paşa Mansion, mosque, avenue and street are the parts of this combination.
It was restored by Çorum Municipality in 2004 originally and it is now changed into a place where Çorum’s culture and art activities are performed and the traditionals dishes are exhibited authentically.
It is in Karakeçili Quarter Alaybey Street . It was build in 1878, during the period of Abdülhamit. It has an interior garden. It has two floors. It is registered as cultural heritage sites.
It was used as a house until 1975 and restores in 1995 by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism in order to be used as a restaurant. It serves Çorum dishes and it can serve 87 people at the same time.
KARGI PLATEAU ( EĞİNÖNÜ ) :
It is in high mountainous regions of north Kargı. It is 140 km from Çorum and 26 km from Kargı. There are also other plateaus here such as : Eğinönü , Aksu , Karandu , Göl , Örencik , Karaboya , Gökçedoğan. Highland houses which are in harmony in the architecture with the nature are still available here.
Trouts are grown in artificial Aksu and Gökçedoğan lakes and it has a great view with the vegetation and water reserves.
When you travel on the road which connects İstanbul to Eastern Black Sea Region, you can travel for 12 km inside the land and you can reach to the Kargı , Aksu ,Çobanlar , Örencik ,Göl ;Çetni ,Doğluca Plateaus or the others.
It is in Köse Mount (205) which is the highest mountain in our city. It is 114 km from Çorum and 26km from the town center. It is 12 km from the highway which connects İstanbul to Samsun. There are two routes. The first one is following İstanbul – Samsun Road and taking the Osmancık highway ; the second is following Ankara-Çorum highway and taking Osmancık Road.
Apart from its clean water and unspoiled nature, it is worth staying here with its distinctive vegetation such as pine, larch. It has a 22 bed hotel , 120 seated restaurant and a picnic area for 1000 people.
The trekking and horse riding route begin from Abdullah highland through Büklü way and Otuziki Çatal Çam to the Oynar highland. This route is 12 km long. Especially, it is worth watching around with the binoculars from the fire towers in Oynar highland. It would be exciting to see the tree known as Otuz İki Çatal Çam.
It is possible to reach Abdullah Yaylası by following Çorum Osmancık Kargı road and turning left after Hacıhamza Town.
BAYAT KUNDUZLU VE KUSCACIMENI PLATEAU:
It is Çorum Bayat borders and northern mountanious Karatepe territory. It is 100km from the center and 25 from the town center. The highland tradition is still continued here. Especially, people pitch tents for camping in Kuşcaçimeni Highland.
With its rich vegetation , pine, larch and fir trees are significant in the area. It is worth seeing for its unspoilt nature formation and plenty of clean water resources.
It is possible to reach here in three ways :
– From Bayat Town Çerkeş Area
– From Bayat Town Kunduzlu Area
– Driving 8 km from İskilip-Tosya Highway , turning left and following Elmalı-Göl-Ahacık villages for 17 km.
ISKILIP PLATEAUS :
There are many highlands in the northern part of İskilip with pine, larch, fir, oak and natural
Elmabeli-Beşoluk ve Çiçekli Highlands are on the İskilip-Tosya highway. On the same route, if you turn left at the 8th km and go for 17km , you can arrive at Demirbükü and Yalak. These places are preferred for its picnic and historical places.
İskilip Elmabeli; It is 13 km from İskilip and on İskilip – Tosya highway. This place is used as picnic, sports activities and the infrastructure is about to be completed by Forest Management.
The infrastructure of Elmabeli highland is mostly completed and it has a building whose top floor is used as a hotel. It has also football pitch and volleyball court.
Transportation is provides by minibuses and in summertime public buses also go on Saturday and Sunday.
INCESU CANYON :
It is in İncesu village of Ortaköy Town. İncesi Canyon which has one entrance and an exit is 12.5 km long. The width of the canyon varies to 40-60 meters. The two sides of the canyon has steep rocks and it also has forests from place to place. Canyon, rafting and trekking sports can be performed here. The canyon, which is a natural beauty, is worth seeing.
Trekking Route : It starts at Yozgat Aydıncık Kazankaya area and finishes at Çorum-Ortaköy-İncesi village. The high flowrate season is suitable for rafting. In other seasons, it can be used as walking racecourse.
The way which connects Ortaköy to Amasya will be taken and go for 3 km ; turning left and go for another 6 km will make it possible to reach İncesu Canyon.
VELI PASHA INN:
It was built by Çepni Paşa who is one of the Yozgat governor. The place and the environment of the inn are described in 1283 and 1303 registers. It burnt completely in 1914 and it was restored by Şevket Bey between the years of 1915-1916.
Velipaşa Inn covers an area of 1000 m2 and it has 2 floors. The mansion part has 3 floors and it is an example for both its plan and architectural design which belongs to Ottoman Era. The inn was made of wood and masonry materials. The building served as a hotel for long years and as to the project which was drawn by Mimar Bülent Çetinor in 1982, there were sections such as stores, coffee houses and a part which is used for tying the horses. Using the two wooden stairs, you could go up and see the 35 rooms. Today, the inn is used as a market.
Koyunbaba Bridge on Kızılırmak in the city center was built during the period of Beyazıt II. Its construction started in 1484 and it was completed in 1489. The length of the bridge is 250 meters and 7.5 meter in width. It was built by yellow and rectangular shaped cut stone. It has a pointed arch and it has 19 sections.
The name of the bridge comes from Koyunbaba who is one of the Turkish saints. Its incription is written in Arabic. It has 5 parallel rows. The person who had the bridge built is also mentioned in this incription. The prayer of the bridge is not mentioned. On the incription briefly:
“ Thanks Allah for help, thanks Mohammad and his family for showing us the truth. The world is a bridge for people. The permanent life and happiness is not possible for living creatures.
Great, judicious , wise, sultans of Arab and Persians sultans, goodness and power owner Sultan Ebül-Fetih Beyazıt bin Mehmet Han. May his reign continue. This piece was started to be constructed in 889 and finished in 894.”
ISKILIP ROCK TOMBS :
There are rock tombs from Roman era which are built in the south and southeast side of the 100 meter high castle belonging to Ottoman era. The one on the southeastern part has a rectangular entrance with two columns. There are lions on the tops. There are two more lion figures. The reliefs have one sword and one glass.There are two platforms of death in the tomb.
LACIN KAPILIKAYA MONUMENTAL ROCK TOMB :
It is 27 km from Çorum, Kırkdilim. It is on steep rocky territory and it is on the edge of a rock which is on the norh-western part of the rock block.
The Hellenistic era rock stone dating back to BC second century belongs to commander IKEZIOS . It has a trapezoid ground 65 meter above from the stream. You can pass to the second platform with an 8-step-stair and to the part in front of the tomb with 12-step-stair.
The writing IKEZIOS can be read on the tomb door. The tomb has square plan and there are death figures on the right and the left niches.
Kuzey Gucu Dis Ticaret A.S.
© 2019 All rights reserved.
Yeniyol Mah. Sel Sok. kip İş Merkezi Kat:2 No:32/2 Merkez / ÇORUM / TÜRKİYE
Tel : +90 364 224 82 50
Fax: +90 364 225 46 72